I am Wendy. And my toddler is a sugar freak. She comes by it honestly. My mother considers chocolate to be one of the major food groups. When I was little I used to sneak spoonfuls of confectioners sugar from the box on the lazy susan by the sink. My little Bean comes from a long line of gals who can handle their sucrose.
I’m not sure that any amount of “organic blah de blah” or “all-natural bibble snobble” can fight this penchant for sweets. I didn’t give the Bean any refined sugar for a very very long time. And I still really avoid it. But that kid can put down a Magnolia cupcake with the best of them. There’s a part of me that’s a little proud.
And now it’s the holidays. My mother is “cutting back” on the cookies this year. Only baking the favorites. One favorite. For each of the grown-ups. That makes eight different kinds of cookies. Cutting back? Yeah, the Bean is going to be bouncing off the walls at Granny’s house.
All this to say, oral hygeine is going to be a big part of our December. If you’re anything like us, you have great intentions of good, thorough toothbrushing and minimal sugar intake…but moderate success. Fortunately for us, Oral-B is there to offer suggestions, tips and great products to get us through this sweet sweet time.
Check out Oral-B’s website for some really practical Holiday Oral Care Tips for Kids. This useful page doesn’t deny the fact that at this time of year, your kids are gonna munch on some sweeties. Instead, it offers guidelines and suggestions for moderating the damage that stuff can do to your wee ones’ smiles. I love this one: “Dairy acts as a buffer to the acids produced by oral bacteria, decreasing the possibility of tooth decay. So consider serving your children milk or cheese with holiday candies and treats.” A cookie just isn’t the same without a glass of milk. For all kinds of reasons, it turns out!
Oral-B offers wonderful guidance for infant and toddler oral care (as well as a neat, new Scrapblog site called Smile-Stages, where you can upload and share photos of your baby beauty’s ever changing smile). They divide your child’s oral development into “stages” and offer tips for good dental health and appropriate products for each stage. Honestly, I was using Oral-B toothbrushes and toothpastes for the Bean before I was offered the chance to review and give them away. The toothbrushes have cute Sesame Street and Winnie the Pooh characters that I really respond to on them (as does she). The infant toothpaste was easy to find at my local drug store, and clearly packaged so that I knew I was getting the right product for her at each age.
So you have all the best intentions in the world, a little stool in front of the sink, and your toddler looks like she’d rather have a root canal than stand there and brush her teeth? Try some of these suggestions from Oral-B:
- Brush your teeth with your child! You’ll be setting a good example for your child, and kids like to copy grown ups like Mama and Daddy.
- Sing your child’s favorite song or play a song from their favorite CD for the two minutes while you’re brushing your teeth. You can stop brushing when the song ends!
- Recite a favorite nursery rhyme while your child is brushing. They are finished when the rhyme is finished!
- And of course, a favorite character on the toothbrush and toothpaste definitely helps make brushing fun!
Why not consider sticking a toothbrush in your kids’ stockings along with the snowman peeps and candy canes! When you do finally get around to making that first pediatric dental appointment (that should happen by age 1…gulp) you’ll be glad you did.
And thanks to the generous folks at Oral-B, one lucky Babies Gotta Have It reader will win a bundle that includes all of the Oral-B Stages toothbrushes and pastes! Want to enter? Read on!
To Enter the Oral-B Smile-Stages Giveaway
- MANDATORY ENTRY #1: Leave a comment on this post saying who you’d give these toothbrushes to! Entering is that easy!
***Want extra chances to win? After you have made your first entry as described above, do anything listed below and leave me additional comments for each one letting me know what you did! Maximum of seven entries per person.
- Follow me on Twitter (click the birdy button on the left to do so easily) and Tweet this giveaway (I’ve even made it easy for you, just cut and paste): I just entered to win a full set of Oral-B Stages toothbrushes and pastes @BabiesGottaHavT. Enter today! http://tinyurl.com/yzjhnaa
- Blog this giveaway (send me the url so I can enjoy your post!)
- Subscribe to my blog using the button on the left
- Grab my button and put in on your blog or website! Button code is in the right sidebar. Leave the link in your entry.
- Become a Fan of Babies Gotta Have It on Facebook–just click the link on the left sidebar!
- Email your friends about the giveaway and link to the giveaway post! cc me in the message (firstname.lastname@example.org)–I promise I will not spam you or your friends. Cross my heart
Your email address will remain private and not be shared with anyone. Giveaway only open to those with U.S. addresses. Must be 18 or older to win. Giveaway begins on Monday December 7th and ends on Wednesday December 16th at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time. On Thursday December 17th, Random.org will select the winner, and I’ll email you immediately. After my daughter called Larry the Cable guy the last time she did a drawing, we have decided to take a little vacation from her choosing the winner. Random.org is in no way as cute and unpredictable as my daughter, but it is much more efficient and does not use any pieces of paper, even recycled ones. I am sure you will understand. Thanks for entering!
Disclosure: Oral-B provided me with toothbrushes and toothpaste to review. Oral-B is providing the prize package for the winner of this giveaway. I was not compensated in any way for the writing of this post. All views and opinions with regard to the product or company itself are my own and were not influenced, nor reviewed, by the company prior to posting.
Update! We have a winner! Random.org says “Result: 44″. Congratulations Sandra! Thanks to everyone who entered! Happy Holidays!