Way back in December I had breakfast with Wendy Bellissimo. Well kind of. Thanks to the generous folks at Q-Tips I ate some super yummy food at a gorgeously decorated restaurant with her and got the skinny on her suggestions for decorating your baby’s nursery…as well as a sneak peek at the pretty darned cute new Q-Tips packaging. But more on that later.
I am actually pretty proud of how we decorated Bean’s room. I really couldn’t do anything crazy girly. That’s just not my style. And when we had to make choices about paint colors we didn’t know if we’d have a boy or a girl. The walls are a gorgeous sagey green (Benjamin Moore’s Silken Pine) and the trim is white. We found a yellow braid rug at Home Goods that was insanely reduced because of a black mark on one side (yeah, we turned it over). My Mom made curtains. And we painted old pieces of family furniture in a lilac and light yellow color so that they all matched. I splurged on a crib (the Stokke Sleepi Crib) because it’s so small and streamlined and perfect for apartment living. And we didn’t really spend a thing on any of the other furniture. Oh yeah, our friends Larry and Lisa gave us their glider. It was a light blue check but I threw purple blankets over it and it was dandy. We hung up two of those floating shelves and filled them with a mixture of antique and new things–including a vintage Boston Red Sox pennant (thank you New England branch of the family). As it turned out, according to Wendy Bellissimo we did some of it right. So here are her tips for readying your room for baby:
- Look to create a calming yet inspiring environment.
- Drop that paintbrush! Resist the urge to paint first. Begin by clearing out the entire room and creating a blank palette.
- Become your own designer! Browse magazines, the internet and books and create your very own inspiration book or board, filled with ideas that speak to you.
- Go back in your room and consider the arrangement of your main pieces (most likely your crib, changing table, and rocker). Then incorporate your fabrics. And only then choose your paint color.
- Then go crazy and stock that nursery!
- Choose whites or pale greens if you don’t know the baby’s gender…then accent accordingly when the time comes.
- Think long term when you select your furniture. Are these pieces that can grow with your child? Or choose gender neutral pieces so you can pass them along to a sibling to come.
- If possible, replace all your light switches with dimmer switches so bedtime can be calm and soothing (I LOVE this idea…totally wish we had been able to do it).
- And finally…incorporate things that were yours or your mother’s when you were children to give the room a really special touch. I am so glad we did this. Plus, hasn’t your Mom been bugging you to finally clear out your room so she can put in a home gym? Now’s the time, gals.
And may I say, the food was excellent.
When you’re stocking the changing table, be sure to check out the adorable new Q-Tips packaging. These whimsical decorative boxes will blend in with lots of nursery styles. They are small and sleek enough that you can easily keep them out where you can access them quickly, without needing to deal with those cumbersome boxes grown-up Q-Tips come in or finding another little basket to put them in. Super idea, as far as I’m concerned!
Want to try them? Thanks to Q-Tips, one lucky Babies Gotta Have It reader will win two boxes of Q-Tips Baby Packs. They will be a wonderful addition to your wee one’s nursery, or a great little item to tuck into a Baby Shower gift! Want to enter? Read on!
To Enter the Q-Tips Baby Packs Giveaway
- MANDATORY ENTRY #1: Leave a comment on this post. Share a nursery decorating tip if you’d like. Or just say hi! Entering is that easy!
***Want extra chances to win? After you have made your first entry as described above, do anything listed below and leave me additional comments for each one letting me know what you did! Maximum of seven entries per person.
- Follow me on Twitter (click the birdy button on the left to do so easily) and Tweet this giveaway (I’ve even made it easy for you, just cut and paste): I just entered to win Q-Tips New Baby Packs @BabiesGottaHavT Enter today! http://tinyurl.com/yzmd72v
- Blog this giveaway (send me the url so I can enjoy your post!)
- Subscribe to my blog using the button on the left
- Grab my button and put in on your blog or website! Button code is in the right sidebar. Leave the link in your entry.
- Become a Fan of Babies Gotta Have It on Facebook–just click the link on the left sidebar!
- Email your friends about the giveaway and link to the giveaway post! cc me in the message (email@example.com)–I promise I will not spam you or your friends. Cross my heart
Your email address will remain private and not be shared with anyone. Giveaway only open to those with U.S. addresses. Must be 18 or older to win. Giveaway begins on Friday January 22nd and ends on Friday February 5th at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time. On Monday February 8th, Random.org will select the winner, and I’ll email you immediately. After my daughter called Larry the Cable guy the last time she did a drawing, we have decided to take a little vacation from her choosing the winner. Random.org is in no way as cute and unpredictable as my daughter, but it is much more efficient and does not use any pieces of paper, even recycled ones. I am sure you will understand. Thanks for entering!
Disclosure: Q-Tips offered the above pictured baby packs for the winner of this giveaway. They provided the delicious breakfast I attended and a small gift bag upon leaving. I was not compensated monetarily for writing this post. All views and opinions with regard to the product or company itself are my own and were not influenced, nor reviewed, by the company prior to posting.
Update: We have a winner! Random.org says “ 18″ Congratulations Sandra! Thanks so much to everyone who entered! Be sure to check out my current giveaways!