If you are a new or expecting parent, odds are that you’re doing some reading about Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, or SIDS. My understanding has always been that SIDS is a bit mysterious. Doctors can recommend steps to sharply decrease the incidence of SIDS, but can’t really explain what causes it. The good news is that the wicked smart docs at Children’s Hospital Boston have just published new research linking SIDS to low serotonin production in the brainstem. The great news is that this finding may lead to a concrete test to identify babies at high risk for SIDS, bringing us another step closer to eradicating this devastating syndrome.
The CJ Foundation for SIDS has given millions of dollars to support SIDS research and provide public education and awareness about SIDS risk reduction. As the largest non-governmental funder of programs meeting the needs of the SIDS community, they participated in funding the research cited above. And I am so excited to share with you the CJ Foundation’s new initiative: Sleep in Safety, Grow in Style. According to the SSGS site,
“The CJ Foundation’s Sleep in Safety, Grow in Style campaign
educate consumers and
raise public awareness about
what constitutes a safe sleep environment for infants.
We will help parents and caregivers learn how to create nurseries with style
and safe sleeping environments for babies that can cost less, be beautiful and
comforting, grow with your child, and most importantly
significantly reduce the risk of SIDS and
other sleep related infant deaths.”
Let’s decorate our babies’ nurseries with an eye toward style and sleep safety! SSGS offers a webpage with Design Safety Tips as well as Sleep Safety Tips. Let me share their list of Sleep Safety Guidelines with you here (check out the site for more detail about each guideline:
- Always lay your baby to sleep face up
- Remove all loose bedding, bumpers, stuffed animals, and pillows from the crib
- Don’t let your baby get too hot
- Control room temperature where baby is sleeping
- Consider using a fan to increase circulation in baby’s room
- Lay your baby to sleep in an approved crib, on a firm-fitting mattress
- Don’t share sleep surfaces
- Don’t smoke while pregnant and never smoke near your infant
- Create a healthy lifestyle for you and your baby
- If possible, breastfeed your baby
- Offer your baby a pacifier at all sleep times
- Put your baby on his or her tummy to play when your baby is awake and supervised
- Share these tips with everyone who cares for your baby
One of my favorite baby and toddler products companies, aden + anais, has partnered with SSGS to promote safe sleep. The CJ Foundation recommends the use of wearable blankets and sleepsacks in place of blankets to keep infants warm while sleeping. Each aden + anais cozy sleeping bag is made of 100% breathable muslin cotton, which allows baby’s body temperature to adjust naturally, reducing the risk of overheating. This time of the year I feel like I am always cold. And I have really turned to sleepsacks and wearable blankets to keep my Little Bean warm and snuggy in the winter months without overheating her to a dangerous degree. aden + anais sleeping bags are the perfect solution, and the muslin they are made of just gets softer and softer with each wash. I have absolutely observed this with the washcloths I bought on babysteals.com! So what’s the deal with muslin? This ancient fabric, traditional for swaddling, has an open, loose weave that is breathable and allows air to circulate around your baby.
And their mod, stylish patterns are to die for. No need to sacrifice appearance when you add these wearable blankets to your nursery. They are adorable. And I’m delighted announce that the great people behind aden + anais are giving one Babies Gotta Have It a sleeping bag of your choice! Want to enter? Read on!
To Enter the aden + anais Giveaway
- MANDATORY ENTRY #1: Browse aden + anais’ selection of stylish cozy sleeping bags. Come back and leave a comment on this post saying which pattern you would chose if you won. Entering is that easy!
***Want extra chances to win? After you have made your first entry as described above, do anything listed below and leave me additional comments for each one letting me know what you did! Maximum of nine entries per person.
- Follow me on Twitter and Tweet this giveaway just cut and paste): Win a cozy sleepsack and learn about the CJ Foundation’s SIDS education & awareness efforts @BabiesGottaHavT http://tinyurl.com/ydly8tw
- Become a Fan of aden + anais on Facebook. Click HERE!
- Become a Fan of the CJ Foundation for SIDS on Facebook. Click HERE!
- Blog this giveaway (send me the url so I can enjoy your post!)
- Subscribe to my blog using the button on the left sidebar
- Grab my button and put in on your blog or website! Button code is in the right sidebar. Leave the link in your entry.
- Become a Fan of Babies Gotta Have It on Facebook. Click HERE!
- Email your friends about the giveaway and link to the giveaway post! cc me in the message (email@example.com)–I promise I will not spam you or your friends. Cross my heart
Your email address will remain private and not be shared with anyone. Giveaway only open to those with U.S. and Canadian addresses. Must be 18 or older to win. Giveaway begins on Friday February 5th and ends on Monday February 22nd at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time. On Tuesday February 23rd, Random.org will select the winner, and I’ll email you immediately. After my daughter called Larry the Cable guy the last time she did a drawing, we have decided to take a little vacation from her choosing the winner. Random.org is in no way as cute and unpredictable as my daughter, but it is much more efficient and does not use any pieces of paper, even recycled ones. I am sure you will understand. Thanks for entering!
Disclosure: aden + anais offered the cozy sleeping bag to the winner of this giveaway at their expense. Additionally, they gave me a cozy sleeping bag as well for my time and effort in writing the post. I was not compensated monetarily, and all views and opinions with regard to the product or company itself are my own and were not influenced, nor reviewed, by the company prior to posting.
Update! We have a winner! Random.org says “ 70″ Congratulations Kara! Thanks so much to everyone who entered! Come back soon!