So maybe you’re not ready to forsake paper towels completely and drip dry on the potty…but there are lots of little steps to going green that we can all take every single day. Little steps that, though small, are still forward progress toward a greener and healthier planet.
The folks at Marcal get it. They recognize the importance of making little changes and have created a line of paper products made of 100% premium recycled paper. Small Steps by Marcal products are whitened without chlorine bleaching, and they’re hypoallergenic and dye and fragrance-free. Using recycled paper products saves trees. The Marcal Tree Calculator is a fun little widget that calculates how many trees you and your family, or classroom, or office can save over the next twenty years if you switch to recycled paper products. My wee family of three can save two trees every year. I have this kind of goofy quote from JRR Tolkien on my Facebook page: “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” I think two trees are important. My Dad always says “trees are our friends.” My Dad is a little goofy too. But he’s also pretty darned smart.
So I tried several of the Small Steps products. I like that the paper towels come in “U-Size It Sheets” so you can tear off smaller amounts for the trail of orange juice your toddler lets fall from her sippy cup and larger sheets for the third cat vomit of the day. The products are fairly strong and effective…and I do love that they’re hypoallergenic and fragrance free. So here’s the thing: they aren’t crazy soft. None of these recycled paper products are crazy soft. They just aren’t. The Marcal website links to a few articles that clarify why this is the case. A New York Times article of February 25, 2009 states, “Although toilet tissue can be made at similar cost from recycled material, it is the fiber taken from standing trees that help give it that plush feel, and most large manufacturers rely on them.” Paper manufacturers are harvesting farmed trees, yes, but they’re cutting down very old trees as well. So I guess it’s really up to us to decide. What are we willing to sacrifice for super soft toilet paper, paper towels, tissues and paper napkins?
Marcal Small Steps is priced so that you don’t need to sacrifice economy. That’s pretty cool. And their website offers a coupon for all you money saving Mamas as well. I guess in honor of Earth Day I’d just say, try them. See how you like them. Maybe you can’t do the tissues but the paper napkins and paper towels will work for you. Small steps are still steps. And trees are our friends.
Thanks to the good people out there in Elmwood Park, NJ one lucky Babies Gotta Have It reader will celebrate Earth Month with a free Marcal Small Steps starter kit (a $25 value) complete with toilet paper, napkins, paper towels and facial tissues. Want to enter? Read on!
To Enter the Marcal Small Steps Giveaway
- MANDATORY ENTRY #1: Leave a comment on this post sharing your favorite memory of a tree. Yup. A tree. Maybe it was the apple tree in your grandparents’ back yard or the tree you built a tree house in when you were a kid. Maybe you hung a bird feeder with your child or planted a special tree in memory of a loved one. Tell us about it. That’s it! Entering is that easy!
***Want extra chances to win? After you have made your first entry as described above, do anything listed below and leave me additional comments for each one letting me know what you did! Maximum of nine entries per person.
- Follow me on Twitter and tweet the following (just cut and paste): I’m taking Small Steps to a greener life with recycled paper products! Win a Marcal starter kit @BabiesGottaHavT http://tinyurl.com/29awxxb
- Follow Marcal Small Steps on Twitter.
- Blog this giveaway (send me the url so I can enjoy your post!)
- Subscribe to my blog using the button on the left sidebar
- Grab my button and put in on your blog or website! Button code is in the right sidebar. Leave the link in your entry.
- Become a Fan of Babies Gotta Have It on Facebook. Click HERE!
- Become a Fan of Marcal Small Steps on Facebook. Click HERE!
- Email your friends about the giveaway and link to the giveaway post! cc me in the message (firstname.lastname@example.org)–I promise I will not spam you or your friends. Cross my heart
Your email address will remain private and not be shared with anyone. Giveaway only open to those with U.S. addresses. Must be 18 or older to win. Giveaway begins on Wednesday April 21st and ends on Wednesday May 5th at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time. On Thursday May 6th, Random.org will select the winner, and I’ll email you immediately. After my daughter called Larry the Cable guy the last time she did a drawing, we have decided to take a little vacation from her choosing the winner. Random.org is in no way as cute and unpredictable as my daughter, but it is much more efficient and does not use any pieces of paper, even recycled ones. I am sure you will understand. Thanks for entering!
Disclosure: Marcal Small Steps provided me with sample products for review and the starter kit for the winner of this giveaway. I was not compensated monetarily, and all views and opinions with regard to the product or company itself are my own and were not influenced, nor reviewed, by the company prior to posting.
UPDATE! We have a winner! Random.org says “ 6″! Congratulations to the “madwoman doing cartwheels”. And thanks so much to everyone who entered!