The idea that your brand new little sweet bean will one day have a runny nose or diaper rash or dry skin is impossible to believe when you first bring her home from the hospital. But all cherished children, at one point or another, become snot-nosed kids. Even the most obsessively germaphobic behavior (see previous post on high chair covers) can’t prevent it. Trust me. I’ve tried. Just when you think you’ve avoided the cold and flu season, whammo you discover your baby’s ear is plastered to the side of her head and it’s not yogurt back there. It’s infected eczema. Yup. This happened too.
So here now, is my list of baby’s medicine cabinet essentials. A pretty container stocked with all of these items makes a unique and truly practical baby gift or baby shower gift. Let me say, I have more than these items in my cabinet. These are the things that I have used the most.
- A Digital Thermometer
- Infants’ non-aspirin liquid pain reliever (tylenol or motrin). Do not administer to your baby without checking in with your doctor first.
- Child-safe Sunscreen
- Cotton Balls
- Baby Nail Clippers
- Nasal Aspirator
- Baby Moisturizing Cream for Dry Skin
- A Baby Cold Pack for Bumps and Boo Boos
- Diaper Rash Cream
- Super Soft Viva Paper Towels and Warm Water – are all you need for diaper cleaning in the first few weeks. Hold off on the wipes until your baby is a few weeks old to protect his skin from any irritation. (and no, Viva is not paying me anything for recommending this–they just work)
- Tweezers for removing ticks and splinters. And alcohol to clean the tweezers. I actually haven’t had to use these yet (thank goodness) but I have seen them on lots of lists and it makes sense.
Keep all of these items way way out of your baby’s reach. Be sure you measure all medications very carefully. And if you forget dosing or care instructions your doctor gives you do not be afraid to call her back!
And to get you started on building your own baby medicine cabinet supply, I am thrilled to offer the Braun ThermoScan ExacTemp Digital Ear Thermometer to one lucky Babies Gotta Have It reader (thank you to the swell folks at Braun)! Gone are the days of sitting with that old glass mercury thing poking into all that soft lumpy stuff under your tongue. Now, I have heard lots of people discuss the inaccuracy of ear thermometers. But this new, top of the line thermometer has a unique pre-warmed tip to improve measuring conditions and accuracy (keeps that otherwise cool tip from cooling off the baby’s ear and skewing the reading), as well as a guidance system to help ensure that you have it in correctly. Braun asserts that this thermometer is more accurate than temple or rectal thermometers and is perfect for first time parents.
To Enter the Braun ThermoScan Ear Thermometer Giveaway:
- Leave me a comment with your favorite home remedy to cure colds. Have I mentioned I’m a germaphobe? I hate being sick. Entering is that easy!
***Want an extra chance to win? Blog or twitter about this giveaway, leave me an additional comment letting me know you did (please include the url), and I’ll put your name in the hat twice! Not a blogger? Subscribe to my blog using the button to the right, leave me an additional comment, and you’re entered twice. Or, email a friend about the giveaway, cc me in the message at email@example.com (I promise I will not spam you or your friends – cross my heart) and you’ll have two entries. Make sure you include your email address with your entry.***
Giveaway open to those with U.S. addresses. Giveaway begins on Tuesday February 3rd and ends on Wednesday February 11th at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time. On Thursday February 12th, my baby girl will draw the winning name and I’ll email you immediately. It’s not a terribly scientific drawing, but I assure you it could not be more random. Thanks for entering!